Thursday 11 February 2010

Is the class issue dead in UK politics?‏


Is class dead?
I don't think so. It would be nice if it was and we lived in a true egalitarian meritocracy, but we don't. my example is to compare my schooling with Eton. If Cameron had gone to my schools rather than his he wouldn't be in the running to be PM. I'm not saying I would be if I'd been to Eton, and sure as hell not for the Tories. We should look at people themselves rather than as the result of their backgrounds, but it is a factor. The problem is that people pay lip service to equality, but that's about it.

"What if the Daily Telegraph always prefaced the name John Prescott with the words "Labour oik"? It would sound really mean."
How about Gorbals Mick about Michael Martin? The Daily Mail is full of class hatred. Well, full of hatred generally.

No comments: